Bishop Stuart University is a fastest growing Chartered Private University founded in 2002 by Ankole Diocese of the Province of the Anglican Church of Uganda, located in Kakoba, Mbarara, 31/2 km from Mbarara City Headquarters.
The University now seeks to recruit a competent, skilled, passionate, experienced and innovative person to fill the position of a VICE – CHANCELLOR
The applicant must be a highly distinguished scholar, with a Ph.D. and at a rank of Associate Professor and above with a minimum of five (5) years of experience on that level and demonstrate the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for the University. All academic qualifications should be from accredited institutions of higher learning.
The applicant must be a person of proven integrity within the age bracket of 45 to 60 years old at the date of application.
|Job Title||Vice-Chancellor (1)|
|Reports to||University Council|
Purpose of the Job
To provide academic, research and administrative leadership to the University for the Effective Management and efficient use of human and fiscal resources in compliance with the law, University regulations and strategic plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
a) Policy and Planning Formulation
Spearheads and coordinates the development and review of policies, strategic plans and other interventions designed to achieve growth, academic and professional excellence in University programs.
b) Management and Fiscal Control
- As the Chief Executive of the University is responsible for maintaining efficiency, effectiveness and good governance of the University.
- Provides efficient leadership to the University by coordinating the effective implementation of strategic management plans and Council decisions.
- Directs and supervises the Senior Management Team responsible for the academic, financial and administrative functions of the University and monitors their performance in line with the prescribed performance targets.
- Mobilizes both internal and external resources necessary for the implementation of the University policies, plans and programs.
- Oversees the acquisition and fair allocation of resources to various University academic bodies and administrative units.
(c) Responsibility to Council
- Is accountable to the University Council and presents the University position and recommendations on various issues and challenges requiring Council intervention.
- Causes to be prepared and submits specific reports to Council as instructed.
- Responsible to the Council for the general conduct and discipline of University staff and students.
(d) Responsibility to Senate
As Chairperson of the Senate directs the implementation of Senate decisions.
(e) External Liaison
- Represents the University externally in order to promote awareness and understanding of the University mission, objectives, policies and programs.
- Spearhead the establishment of useful partnerships and networks.
- Key spokesperson of the University on all matters.
- University policies, strategic plans and other interventions developed and implemented.
- Efficient, effective and good governance of the University.
- Timely and effective implementation of strategic plans, Council and Senate decisions.
- Attainment of set performance targets by the Senior Management Team.
- Number of MOU signed with Partners and networks.
- Adequate resources for the implementation of the University policies, plans and programs.
- Resources acquired and fairly and equitably allocated to various University units.
- Timely and quality reporting on University operations to Council.
- Good conduct on part of staff and students.
- Positive public awareness and publicity for the University.
- The candidate for the position of Vice-Chancellor should be an innovative, visionary leader with the capacity to build a dynamic management team. In particular, the Vice-Chancellor will be a widely knowledgeable individual about the national, regional and international status and trends of higher education with the capacity to execute a strategic change program that will ensure the sustained success of the University
- Be a Ugandan citizen.
- Experience in managing an institution of higher learning.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be a highly distinguished scholar, with a Ph.D. and at a rank of Assoc. Professor and above with a minimum of five (5) years of experience on that level and demonstrate the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for the University; (All academic qualifications should be from accredited institutions of higher learning).
- Be a committed Anglican who wholeheartedly affirms the University instruments of Identity and whose manner of life is recognized as exemplary;
- Be a person of proven integrity;
- Be between 45 years and 60 years old at the date of application;
- Command the respect of the national and international academic communities through his/her track record;
- Strengthen the bridges between staff, students and other members of the University community;
- Be a person with a clear vision for the development of the University
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health;
- Attract the much-needed funds into the University.
- High level of maturity
- Experience in strategic leadership and management in an accredited/chartered University or equivalent government or reputable organization for not less than 3 years
- Should have been at least a member of an accredited/chartered University Senate/Council or equivalent body in government or a reputable organization
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and competencies
- Must have people skills
- Should possess negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills and public relations
- Demonstrate evidence of ability to understand and manage the academic, Research and outreach process in institutions of higher learning
- Demonstrate evidence of team leadership
- Proven ability to handle student community and staff
- Knowledge of Higher Education Policies and Operations
- Should have held senior administrative positions at the level of Head/Dean and above in higher Institutions of learning
- Must demonstrate competence in using and promoting ICT modern technology.
- Ability to comprehend and implement the Strategic Plan of the University
- Evidence of resource mobilization skills
- Good understanding and working knowledge of financial management
- Evidence of involvement in the leadership of investment projects
- Evidence of experience in planning and budgeting
An attractive package including housing, a chauffeur-driven car, medical care and other benefits in accordance with the University Terms of Service.
Tenure of Appointment
The appointment shall be for a five (5) years contract renewable once, subject to satisfactory performance.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications, together with the following:
- A letter of motivation
- Detailed and updated curriculum vitae signed and dated by the candidate
- A written statement of interest not exceeding 1000 words about the candidate’s vision for a competitive university in Uganda in the 21st Century
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees who should forward their reports directly to the Secretary of the Search Committee/ University Secretary under Confidential Cover not later than 20th November 2022.
- Referees should attest to the candidate’s high academic credentials, managerial capacity and integrity.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates
- Certified copies of applicant’s birth certificates or relevant pages of their passports
- Recommendation letter from a Church Leader
- Marriage Certificate if applicable.
Sealed applications should be forwarded under confidential cover and reach the Office of the Secretary of the Search Committee not later than 20th November 2022.
The envelopes should be clearly marked, “APPLICATION FOR POSITION OF VICE-CHANCELLOR” in the top right corner.
Applications sent by electronic media (Email) to email@example.com will also be accepted, provided the application has been duly signed and scanned.
Incomplete applications and or applications received after the closing time will not be considered.
- Submit twelve (12) copies of the application letter to the address below not later than three (3) from the date of this publication.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
- All applications should be addressed
To: The Secretary of the Search Committee of the Vice-Chancellor/ University Secretary
Bishop Stuart University.
P. O. Box 09
Or hand deliver to the Office of the University Secretary, Bishop Stuart University.
Assiimwe Annah Tibazindwa