HESFB Students Loan Scheme
Bishop Stuart University entered into a partnership with the Uganda Higher Education Students’ Financing Board (HESFB) after signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in 2015.
HESFB is a fund established to provide both Loans and Scholarships to Ugandan students who are financially challenged and intend to pursue accredited courses of study or programmes of Higher Education in accredited institutions of higher learning, recognized by the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE).
HESFB collaborates with these institutions to support beneficiaries of the Students’ Loan Scheme to attain their higher education dreams, especially with accredited Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) programmes Source
Bishop Stuart University is one of the Universities that has significantly benefited from this loan scheme where over 500 students (beneficiaries) have been hosted since 2015. The pioneers of this scheme graduated on the 12th of October 2018.
Equitable Financing of Higher Education in Uganda
To provide financing to eligible citizens of Uganda and increase equitable access to Higher Education in the country
HESFB abides by the following core values:
HESFB is mandated to offer Loans and Scholarships to qualifying students of Uganda at Higher Educations Institutions.
BSU student intake under the HESFB student′s loan scheme every academic year since 2015
|Academic Year||Number of Beneficiaries|
Who is eligible for the loans?
HESFB supports students pursuing Diploma and Undergraduate programmes. Plans are underway to finance Post graduate programmes and Doctoral Studies in the near future. The scheme is meant for Ugandan students seeking financial assistance to pursue an accredited programme of Higher Education in an accredited Higher Education Institution recognized by the National Council for Higher Education. The Board determines the Students’ eligibility into the scheme and takes into consideration regional balance, gender, social economic needs and equity. The Board approves the programmes of study to be funded every academic year. HESFB FAQs
Eligibility Criteria and other Terms
- An applicant shall be considered for funding on the condition that they have an admission to an accredited programme/course(s) from a chartered University or recognized Higher Education Institution.
- HESFB supports students pursuing undergraduate Diplomas and Undergraduate programmes. Plans are underway to finance Postgraduate programmes and Doctoral Studies in the near future.
- The scheme is meant for Ugandan students seeking financial assistance to pursue an accredited programme of Higher Education in an accredited Higher Education Institution recognized by the National Council for Higher Education.
- An applicant must demonstrate that they cannot afford the costs for higher education.
- The Board determines the Students’ eligibility into the scheme and takes into consideration regional balance, gender, social economic needs, and equity.
- The Board retains the right to evaluate all loan applications and determine the number of beneficiaries.
Note: This application is not a guarantee that the loan shall be approved. Source
What level of education does the loan cover?
Currently, the scheme supports students pursuing selected Diploma and Undergraduate Programmes in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). In the future with additional financial resources, the scheme may cover other disciplines and also consider funding post-graduate programmes and Doctoral programmes. HESFB FAQs
Office of Quality Assurance – Bishop Stuart University
Tel: +256 772 580076
Mobile: +256 702 580076
Public Relations Office – Bishop Stuart University
Tel: +256 707 200707