The University Council is the supreme organ of the University whose composition, functions, terms, and conditions are determined by the Board of Trustees in accordance with the statutes.
It is composed of a maximum of eleven (11) members ie. Chairperson of the University Council, Vice-Chairperson of the University Council, The University Vice-Chancellor, Chairperson CoASW, Chairperson CoFPP, Chairperson Committee Audit and Risk Management, Chairperson Discipline & Students Affairs, Students Guild President, A representative from the Ministry of Education and Sports, Staff representative, University Secretary who is the Secretary to Council, Senior Public Relations Officer, Diocesan Chancellor/Legal Advisor and A representative from the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development.
5th University Council Members (2018-2022)
Member 5th University Council, Committee of Finance
Representative from the Ministry of Education and Sports
Chairperson Discipline and Students Affairs
Chairperson Committee Audit and Risk Management
Born on 12th November 1951, Prof. Elly N Sabiiti is a Professor of Crop Sciences and the current Chairperson Committee of Appointments and Staff Welfare (CoASW) of Bishop Stuart University.
Vice-Chairperson University Council
Chairperson University Council
3rd Vice-Chancellor of Bishop Stuart University and Professor of Ethnomedicine and Ethnopharmacology
|Rev. Richard Mujuni
|Principal UBI (Uganda Bible Institute)
|Canon Prof. Amb. Francis Butagira
|Diocesan Chancellor/Legal Advisor
|Assiimwe Annah Tibazindwa
|Secretary to Council
|Senior Public Relations Officer
4th University Council Members
The University Council has a mandate to:-
- Be responsible for the direction of the administrative, financial, planning, and academic affairs of the University.
- Formulate the general policy of the University.
- Give the general guidelines to the administrative, academic, and support staff on matters relating to the operation of the University
- Do any other things and take all necessary decisions conducive to the fulfillment of the objects and functions of the University.
- To raise resources for the University
Notwithstanding the generality of the above duties, The Council has power:
- To represent the University in any legal suits by and against the University
- To raise and receive on behalf of the University, funds, gifts, donations, grants, monies, and other properties and make disbursement thereof.
- To approve the University budget and final accounts
- To provide for the welfare and discipline of the staff of the University, determine staff ranks and positions and the terms and conditions of service
- To set the rates of various University fees and charges
- To create University scholarships and other awards and to determine the conditions and modalities to govern them
- To appoint University staff upon such terms and conditions of service as provided for in the statutes
- To approve, in consultation with the Senate, regulations governing the conduct and discipline of the academic staff and students of the University
- To approve and enter into any association with other Colleges or any Institutions of higher learning and research or other bodies either within or outside Uganda
- To establish, in consultation with Senate and with the approval of National Council for Higher education, such constituent colleges, affiliated institutions, institutes, and new Study Programmes as deemed desirable.
- To constitute the final decision making body in cases of staff and students’ discipline, as stipulated in the statutes
- To make statutes in accordance with the Charter
- To propose the amendment and amend the Charter when / if it is deemed necessary
- To make annual reports to the Board of Trustees.
- To appoint University auditors and approve audit reports.