1.0 RESUMPTION AND COMPLETION OF SEMESTER II FOR ALL FINALIST STUDENTS ACADEMIC YEAR 2019/2020
Following the closure of all Schools and Higher Institutions of Learning in the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 Pandemic, the President allowed reporting of all final year students pursuing Health related courses and later announced that schools with candidate classes and all finalist students in Tertiary Institutions and Universities to be re-opened effective 15th October 2020. The re-opening roadmap is as follows.
- Students under Nursing, Public Health, Counselling and Psychology reported on 28 September, 2020
The students reported on 28th September 2020 and went through mandatory training on COVID-19 SOPs before they embarked on classes.
- Re-opening of Face-to-face lecturers for all finalists Semester II Academic Year 2019/2020
The University will open for resumption of Face-to-Face lectures for all finalists under Regular, Weekend, Recess and Postgraduate Programmes on 15th October 2020 in order to complete the Academic activities of Semester 2 AY 2019/2020.
2.0 Accreditation of Bishop Stuart University for Open Distance and e-Learning (ODeL)
National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) approved and permitted Bishop Stuart University to roll out 89 Academic Programmes on Open, Distance and eLearning (ODeL) therefore all continuing Students are now informed that the resumption of the Second Semester Academic Year 2019/2020 will commence on 26th October 2020. This will start with a mandatory online orientation on COVID-19 SOPs on 26th October 2020 and effective online teaching will commence on 2nd November 2020.
3.0 Pre-Entry exams for Bachelor of Laws Applicants
Bishop Stuart University under the Faculty of Law successfully conducted the first Pre-entry examination for Bachelor of Laws Academic Year 2020/2021 from 28th September to 30th September 2020 as was permitted by the District COVID-19 taskforce chairperson/RDC Mbarara District. Out of 116 candidates who participated in the pre-entry exams, 81 passed and they are informed to come and pick their admission letters starting on Tuesday 13th October 2020. We are looking forward to conducting another set of Pre-entry examination very soon since we are still receiving applications.
4.0 eLearning Programmes and FAR Center with Trinity Western University (TWU) Canada
Bishop Stuart University signed a Memorandum of Understanding with TWU and both Universities have online teaching and learning systems.
Bishop Stuart University has also established a Facilitated Academic Resource (FAR) learning Centre to house and support the learning community of TWU at BSU. A special computer laboratory specifically to enable eLearning has been established. NCHE visited us to assess the FAR Centre for accreditation and we are waiting for the response. The facility will also be used to support the Open, Distance and eLearning model (ODeL).
5.0 Higher Education Students’ Financing Board third (3) deadline extension for Degree & Diploma
At Bishop Stuart University, students access Government loans through the Higher Education Students’ Financing Board (HESFB). Please note that the fixed deadline for accessing loans for Bachelors Degree is 15th October 2020 and for Diploma is 31st October 2020.
6.0 Students, please note that the following Standard Operating Procedures already put in place by the Ministry of Health shall be observed and followed
- Mandatory wearing of face mask at all times
- Washing of hands regularly and/ or sanitizing hands
- Social/physical distancing of 2 metres in classrooms and everywhere at Campus
- Examination date for Nursing, Public Health, Counselling and Psychology programmes Academic Year 2019/2020 will start on 09th November 2020 and end on 22nd November 2020.
- Examinations for all finalists students’ Academic Year 2019/2020 will begin on 16th November 2020 and end on 28th November 2020.
- The examination date for all continuing students (online) will be communicated in due course.
- Effective teaching is to take one month and examinations will run for two weeks.
Aruho Abdon Rutega