- This event has passed.
13th Inter-University Human Rights Competition
June 20 at 9:00 am - June 21 at 6:00 pm EAT
We are very excited to announce that this year’s 13th Inter-University Human Rights Competition will be hosted at Bishop Stuart University from 20th to 21st June 2022 under the theme “Building back better: Realising Human Rights in the Post Covid-19 Era”.
The event will attract over 14 universities in Uganda including; Uganda Pentecostal University, Gulu University, Uganda Martyrs University, Kabale University, Cavendish University, Kampala International University, St. Joseph University, Makerere University, Busitema University, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Mountains of the Moon University, Uganda Christian University, Kyambogo University and Islamic University in Uganda.
The Chief Guest will be the Principal Judge of the High Court of Uganda, Hon. Dr. Justice Flavian Zeija (Ph.D.) and will be officially closed by Hon. Justice Joyce Kavuma, the Senior Resident Judge, Mbarara.
The event will start on Monday, 20th June 2022 (Day 1) at 9:00 am and end on Tuesday 21st June 2022 (Day2) with a closing cultural awarding dinner. Topics to discuss include;
- The Right to Self Determination and United Nations Mechanisms: Myth or reality?
- Regular, free, fair and inclusive elections in Uganda: Are we learning any lessons from the past?
- Doctrine for the Separation of powers: Is it a practical principle in Uganda today?
- The Right to Freedom of Expression and Assembly in Uganda: Progress or Decline- Discuss.
- The Oil promise in Uganda: Is it a threat to human rights or a development opportunity?
- Gender Parity is still possible- Discuss
- Death Penalty: A torturous road, an invisible torture; Discuss.
- Human Rights in the Era of Fake News: What are the implications?
- The Human Rights Movement in Post Covid 19 Era in Uganda: Has it entered the End-Times or the Twi-light?