Dr. Jean Simon Onyait is an Academic Consultant in the Department of Animal Health and Production, Faculty of Agriculture, Environmental Sciences and Technology at Bishop Stuart University. He holds a Masters Degree in Livestock Development Planning and Management and a Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine from Makerere University.
Previously, he served as a Veterinary Clinician at Makerere University. Presently (from June 2012) he is engaged as an External Facilitator in the Department of Pharmacy, Clinical and Comparative Medicine (PCM); School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Resources (SVAR); College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Biosecurity (COVAB) at the same institution.
He has attained a number of workshops and trainings including; Technology Transfer in the Dairy Value Chain offered by Dairy Training Centre Oenkenk, The Netherlands and Seeta Institute of Animal Production & Management (SIAPROM); Country Training Course in Introduction to Epidemiology and Livestock Economics organized by Uganda Veterinary Association and the Department of International Development under British Council – Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University.
|Jan. 2019||College of Veterinary Medicine Animal Resources and Biosecurity, Makerere University||Masters in Livestock Development Planning and Management.|
|January 1994||Makerere University (U)||Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine|
|1974 – 1977||Boroboro Secondary School Lira||East African Certificate of Education Grade 1|
|1965 – 1973||Toroma Boys Primary School||Primary Leaving Certificate Grade 1|
- Currently: Academic Consultant, Department of Animal Health, Production and Management, Bishop Stuart University
- 7th September 2018: Veterinary Clinician (Retired). Presently (from June 2012) engaged as External Facilitator; Department of Pharmacy, Clinical and Comparative Medicine (PCM); School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Resources (SVAR); College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Biosecurity (COVAB), Makerere University.
- December 2000: Reappointed Assistant Farm Manager Buyana Stock Farm, Makerere University
- Nov. 1999 – Nov. 2000: Private Veterinary practitioner
- May 1995 – Oct. 1999: Farm Manager, Bulangiti Farm Ltd.
- March 1994 – April 1995: Assistant Farm Manager, Makerere University, Buyana Stock Farm under the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
- 2nd September – 13th December 1985: Overseer, Technical Teacher’s Award Certificate in Agriculture. The Polytechnic Wolverhampton (U.K.)
- June 1993 – February 1994: Veterinary Officer, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Bukalasa Agricultural College, Wobulenzi.
- Assistant Animal Husbandry Officer, Veterinary Training Institute Entebbe, Ministry of Animal Industry and Fisheries (then). At the Institute he was appointed a Farm Manager of the Institute Farm from May 1982 to August 1987.
- 6th July to 13th 2015: Certificate of Training in Technology Transfer in the Dairy Value Chain offered by Dairy Training Centre Oenkenk, The Netherlands and Seeta Institute of Animal Production & Management (SIAPROM)
- 15th – 26th September 1997: Attended Country Training Course in Introduction to Epidemiology and Livestock Economics organized by Uganda Veterinary Association and the Department of International Development under British Council – Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University
- 10th – 28th June 1985: Extension Training Course Certificate held at the Veterinary Training Institute Entebbe Sponsored by the Ministry of Animal Industry and Fisheries together with the Delegation of European Communities in Uganda and Polytechnic Wolverhampton – U.K.
- 26th April to 20th July 1984: FAO/DANIDA Dairy Training Course on Quality Control and Extension Services Certificate held at Dalum Dairy School and the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen Denmark.
- 20th June to 13th August 1983: FAO/DANIDA Dairy Training Course for Teachers/Instructors on Milk Processing Certificate, held in Naivasha Dairy School, Egerton Agricultural College, Njoro and Kenyatta University College, Kenya
- June 1982: Artificial Insemination Technicians Certificate a course conducted at the Veterinary Training Institute and Artificial Breeding Centre Entebbe.
- 1981 – 1982: Veterinary Training Institute Entebbe (U) Diploma in Dairy Husbandry
- 1979 – 1981: Veterinary Training Institute Entebbe (U) Veterinary Assistant Certificate
- Training of Livestock Extension Workers under the AFRISA – East Africa Dairy Development (EADD) Partnership Framework 30th November – 6th December 2014
- Training in the use of Indigenous Microorganisms (IMO) in Livestock (Pig) Production 19th to 22nd May 2014
- Training on East Coast Fever Infection Treatment Method (ECFITM) System of Immunization against East Coast Fever (ECF) and Continued Professional Development (CPD) On Tick and Tick-Borne Diseases 14th – 16th April 2014
- Participated in hands-on-farm AFRISA Training of farmers in Hydroponic Fodder production as a lead Trainer, 02nd – 6th December 2013.
- Participated in the AFRISA Training of Community Animal Health Workers (CAHWs) and Veterinary Assistants Bong, Lofa and Limba Counties, Liberia sponsored by Land O’ Lakes, Inc. International Development USA. July – December, 2013.
- Participated in the AFRISA Training of National Agricultural Advisory Service (NAADs), Service Providers and Dairy farmers in Hay Technology, Production and Business in Nakasongola, Uganda. Sponsored in partnership with Global Knowledge Initiative – USA, Makerere University, Pennsylvania State University, NAADs, Uganda Crane Cooperative Creameries Union; June 2013.
- Participated in Disease Survey and Surveillance to Establish the Cause of Deaths in Dairy Cattle in the districts of Mbarara, Ntungamo, Bushenyi, and Kiruhura, on behalf of Uganda Crane Cooperative Creameries Union (UCCCU) June 2011.
- Participated in hands-on-farm AFRISA Training of Dairy Animal Production and Primary Health Care Technicians from Rubuguri, Kisoro District: Sponsored by FAO; September 2011 to June 2012.
- Participated in Goats Training Workshop for Trainers in Goat Husbandry; selected from Districts of Pader, Lira, Kaberamaido, Soroti, and Amuria, organized by PENHA and sponsored by FAO: Landmark Hotel, Soroti 11th – 16th Feb 2007.
- Represented Uganda Veterinary Association at South African Veterinary Congress 7th – 11th June 1998, Pretoria South Africa.
- Represented Uganda Veterinary Association in Workshop on Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Improvement of Meat Hygiene Standards in Uganda, 4th – 5th May 1998 at Mwebaza Inn – Seeta Mukono District.
- Represented Uganda Veterinary Association in the Consultative Workshop on Revision of the National Drug Policy and Authority Statue 1993 organized by National Drug Authority, Colline Hotel, 11th October 1996.
- Participated in organizing the Scientific Conference organized by Uganda Veterinary Association – International Conference Centre, Kampala. 19th – 20th September 1996. Role: Assistant Master of Ceremony
- Attended a Conference on Food Security for Teso Sub-region organized by Presidential Commission for Teso, Soroti Flying School; 17th – 20th January 1996. Role: Chairman Restocking Committee.
- Participated in a conference organized by the National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO) on Technology Generation and Transfer. International conference center Kampala; 5th – 7th December 1995.
- Attended Sekalala First Goat Promotion Day in collaboration with the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Makerere University. Presented a paper: Modern Goat Reproduction Management (including Artificial Insemination). Kampala Parents School; 24th June 1995.
- Participated in 1st workshop on National Cattle Breeding Policy in Uganda organized by Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries held in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Makerere University – 20th October 1995.
- Participated in theoretical and practical Training of Artificial Insemination Technicians, Buyana Stock Farm and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Makerere University; 12th to 27th March 1995.
- In conjunction with the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (MUK), planned and carried out one-day Seminar for Farmers in Artificial Insemination, Buyana Stock Farm, Makerere University; 15th October 1994.
- Planning of the Course and Training of Women Farmers in Zero Grazing of Dairy Cows for the Heifer Project, under Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources; 22nd July to 14th August 1987.
- James Okwee-Acai*, Godfrey Bigirwa, Jean Simon Onyait, Bernard Agwai, and Johnson Acon. On-farm evaluation of pinhole castration as a novel alternative technique for mass castration of goats and cattle in pastoral communities of Central Uganda. www.roavs.com EISSN: 2223-0343. Research Opinions in Animal & Veterinary Sciences
- Okwee-Acai J., Omara R., Onyait J.S., Agwai B and Acon J (2013). An evaluation of pinhole castration as an alternative technique for dog population control in resource-poor communities. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa; Vol 61 (3): 337-345
- Co-Author: A Training Manual for Community Animal Health Workers; Monrovia – Liberia, 2013.
- Co-Author: A Manual for Hay Technology, Production and Business Technicians; AFRISA Publication, June 2013
- Co-Author: A Guide for Dairy Farmers on Proper Hand Milking and Milking Hygiene. Dairy Development Authority Publication. September 2012
- Co-Author; A Training Manual for Dairy Animal Production and Primary Health Care Technicians; Rubuguri, Kisoro. AFRISA – FAO Publication April 2012.