University Finance Officer
|Job Title||University Finance Officer (1)|
Main Purpose of the Post
Your main purpose is to take a lead in resource mobilization and provide financial administration, advice, support and planning of the University and maintain the accounts in a form determined by the University Council and be responsible for the efforts, results, and success of BSUs finance department.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or any other relevant field. A Ph.D. qualification is an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Science- Finance or any other relevant degree (Accounting Option) from a recognized Institution.
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant with full CPA/ACCA and member of a recognized accounting body.
- Computer knowledge and skills in Microsoft word, excel, PowerPoint and the internet are mandatory.
- Working experience of at least Eight (8) years in financial management from a reputable organization.
- Fluency in English and ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Able and willing to work under pressure to improve the overall performance of the projects.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Overseeing, reviewing, and adhering to the University budgets approved by University Council.
- Ensuring the University-wide budgetary planning, documenting and maintaining complete and accurate supporting documents for all financial transactions.
- Ensuring that all the University’s financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation.
- Developing and maintaining timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for users and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Preparing all supporting information for the Annual Audit and liaising with the internal audit committee and external auditors as necessary.
- Monitoring the cash flow and preparing cash flow projections forecasts in accordance with policy.
- Appraising and supervising financial office staff in the facilitation of day-to-day operations, including tracking financial data, invoicing, bookkeeping, payroll management, bank reconciliation, etc.
- Monitoring risk management policies/ procedures while seeking out methods and practices to minimize financial risk.
- Updating and implementing financial policies /procedures and maintaining a policy manual for the finance department.
- Working with the Human Resource office to secure candidates with the right skills and competencies who will be an asset to the finance department.
- Ensuring the development of financial policies, regulations and guidelines.
- Participating in the development of resource mobilization strategies.
- Participating in the management of financial grants and donations to the University.
- Maintaining a sound financial accounting system, record keeping and internal controls for the university.
- Advising the University Management on sound financial policies, rules and procedures.
- Managing the reconciliation of books of accounts and the production and presentation of the university financial accounts and bank statements to the relevant authorities.
- Providing technical financial support to all the university projects.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned to you by your immediate supervisor.