|Job Title||Laboratory Technician (1)|
|Reports to||Head of Department Science Education|
Main Purpose of the Post
A Laboratory Technician performs routine technical tasks and experiments in laboratories to support scientific investigations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Science Technology (Physics) or Laboratory Science Technology (Physics)
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field from a recognized institution is an added advantage.
- The candidate should have a minimum of three (3) years of experience in Laboratory/Lab science.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Support the management of the Department’s undergraduate teaching laboratories, ensuring that all areas are fully prepared for teaching, i.e. all equipment set out and checked for correct function prior to using.
- Undertake, where appropriate, the maintenance of physics equipment/resources, repairing and testing of lab equipment.
- Maintain the inventory for teaching equipment to enable efficient changeover of experiments.
- Maintain up-to-date records of maintenance and testing of teaching equipment and assist with the sourcing of materials, consumables and equipment for the teaching areas.
- Evaluate & test proposed new teaching equipment and help in designing a practical exercise.
- Support academic staff in developing new and enhancing existing experiments and development of practical teaching materials.
- Supervising and guiding students during the practical sessions.
- Support the department’s outreach activities/programmes with prospective students, conducting research and designing programs for trade shows and community outreaches.
- Conducting tutorials to provide a link between the theoretical courses and practical work.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant aspects of health & safety whilst undertaking duties.
- Ensure all Lab users comply with all relevant aspects of health & safety.
- Support the development of lab procedures and ensure users are trained in those procedures.
- Ensure that allocated areas are kept in good order and safety devices are in place and operational.
- Ensure all waste produced is disposed of in accordance with Departmental and University procedures.
- Work cooperatively with the other members of the department and faculty to achieve the set objectives.
- Undertake personal & professional development in accordance with post requirements.
- Undertake any other duties assigned to you by the Head of Department/immediate supervisor.
Personal Competence Skill
- Ability to learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems
- Good hand-eye coordination, to use technical equipment with accuracy
- Ability to maintain and calibrate technical equipment
- Time management skills to work on several different projects at once
- Flexibility in order to work with and provide support for a number of students
- Excellent oral communication skills in order to work effectively with colleagues from all parts of the organization and to explain complex techniques to concerned staff and students.
- Experience in providing demonstrations and writing technical reports
- Teamwork skills and patience
- Paying attention to detail and a result-oriented person.