Bachelor of Technology in Computer Graphic Art and Animation
Degree awarded: BTCA (Hons)
Duration: 3 Years full-time
Bachelor of Technology in Graphic Art and Animation is purely a practical course and all the work is hands-on but with some theoretical units in particular fields. In this course, students will use computer-aided software to create graphics and animations for television commercial advertising and graphic designing.
The objectives of the programme include:
- To produce artists who will turn visual arts to the digital computerised
- To produce artists or designers who will create and employ themselves through the use of digital visual graphics as a major
- To empower the field of advertising with artists who will rebrand the television commercial graphics through animations and powerful/meaningful
Programme Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this programme graduates will be able to:
- Turn visual arts to the digital level in all visual media.
- Create and employ themselves through digital visual graphics as a major tool.
- Rebrand commercial graphics through animations and powerful/meaningful designs.
- A candidate must be in possession of at least two principal passes in any of the subjects at the same sitting of “A” level.
- One should have obtained a diploma from any reorganized institution.
- Alternatively must be having an equivalent qualification of the above approved by NCHE. Or must have passed mature entry exams approved by the same.
- Graduates may employ themselves or find employment in the advertising or marketing departments, television companies, graphic industries, advertising companies, animation companies, distribution companies, public relations, computers or manufacturing in-house designers, creating and placing advertising or promotion companies. Graduates of this course may also engage in the sale of advertising space or time on behalf of a print or electronic medium or may enter the advertising agency field.
- This course also prepares participants for a wide range of careers in the field of animation, including independent animation practice, work for animation, companies, concept art and storyboarding services, website animation, commercials, music videos, title & motion graphics, children‘s television, promotional & training videos, technical animations and design, animation for portable devices, independent films or festival shorts and other screen based media. In addition, students will gain an overall experience that can also lead to employment in the fields of arts and animation research, education and training.
General Core Courses
Every student admitted to University is expected to study General Core Courses offered at various levels during the programme and they include the following.
- Computer Literacy: this is to help students get oriented to using a computer in their programs.
- Communication skills: this is an orientation course to help students improve on English Language and be effective communicators.
- Understanding the Bible: these are basic courses that are taught to all students to realize the core values of the University i.e.: Faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, Academic Excellence, Compassion, Relentless Service, Moral Integrity, Accountability.
- Christian Ethics: it meant to teach all the Christian ethical
|YEAR ONE: FIRST SEMESTER||Course Code||Lecturer Hours||Practical Hours||Contact Hours||Credit Units|
|History of Graphics||BTCA 1101||30||30||45||3|
|Computer Design Principles||BTCA 1102||45||30||60||4|
|Typography Graphic||BTCA 1103||45||30||60||4|
|Basic 3D & Motion Graphics||BTCA 1104||45||30||60||4|
|Marketing Principles||BTCA 1105||30||30||45||3|
|Introduction to Mass Communication||BTCA 1106||30||30||45||3|
|YEAR ONE: SECOND SEMESTER||Course Code||Lecturer Hours||Practical Hours||Contact Hours||Credit Units|
|Photographic Design||BTCA 1201||45||30||60||4|
|Motion Advertisement Design||BTCA 1202||45||30||60||4|
|Storyboard and Concept Development||BTCA 1203||45||30||60||4|
|Computer-Aided Design||BTCA 1204||45||30||60||4|
|Principles of Motion & Animation Graphics||BTCA 1205||45||30||60||4|
|YEAR TWO: FIRST SEMESTER||Course Code||Lecturer Hours||Practical Hours||Contact Hours||Credit Units|
|Basic Web Designing||BTCA 2101||45||30||60||4|
|Applied Image Editing||BTCA 2102||45||30||60||4|
|Animation techniques of Motion Graphics||BTCA 2103||45||30||60||4|
|Computer-Aided Page Layout||BTCA 2104||45||30||60||4|
|Entrepreneurship Skills and Development.||BTCA 2105||30||30||45||3|
|Architectural Design||BTCA 2106||45||30||60||4|
|YEAR TWO: SECOND SEMESTER||Course Code||Lecturer Hours||Practical Hours||Contact Hours||Credit Units|
|Television Commercial Advertising||BTCA 2201||45||30||60||4|
|Dynamic Web Designing||BTCA 2202||45||30||60||4|
|3D Animation Design||BTCA 2203||45||30||60||4|
|Corporate Branding Design||BTCA 2204||45||30||60||4|
|Applied Architectural Design||BTCA 2205||45||30||60||4|
|Applied Advertising Design||BTCA 2206||45||30||60||4|
|Research Methods||BTCA 2207||30||30||45||3|
|Industrial Training||BTCA 2208||30||30||45||3|
|YEAR THREE: FIRST SEMESTER||Course Code||Lecturer Hours||Practical Hours||Contact Hours||Credit Units|
|Dynamic Architectural Design||BTCA 3101||45||30||60||4|
|Advanced Animation||BTCA 3102||45||30||60||4|
|Innovative Motion Graphics||BTCA 3103||45||30||60||4|
|Print Media Graphics designing||BTCA 3104||45||30||60||4|
|Studio and Camera Techniques||BTCA 3105||45||30||60||4|
|YEAR THREE: SECOND SEMESTER||Course Code||Lecturer Hours||Practical Hours||Contact Hours||Credit Units|
|Artistic Architectural Design||BTCA 3201||45||30||60||4|
|Project in Print Graphic Design||BTCA 3202||45||30||60||4|
|Project in Animation (2D or 3D)||BTCA 3203||45||30||60||4|
|Advertising Design &Techniques||BTCA 3204||45||30||60||4|
|Research Dissertation||BTCA 3205||90||60||120||8|
|Final Presentation||BTCA 3206||90||60||120||8|
|Total Credit Units||146|