Bachelor of Records Management and Information Science
Degree awarded: BRMIS (Hons)
Duration: 3 Years full-time
Bachelor of Records Management and Information Science is a programme offered in the Department of Secretarial, Records and Office Management under the Faculty of Business, Economics and Governance at Bishop Stuart University.
This programme was designed because Records Management and Information Science (RMIS) is a discipline that aims at training information professionals to serve different stakeholders for development. RMIS is considered a cross-cutting discipline in Humanities, Sciences and Technology.
The programme is run alongside other programmes in the Department and seeks to create a pool of highly skilled graduates who will be able to handle quality information. Additionally, it’s run on a semester basis and will target students who have completed a Diploma, A’level, or its equivalent.
The programme aims at training both academic and skills-oriented graduates who can become job creators. The degree programme offers courses which will enable a graduate to:
- Acquire efficient communication skills needed in all aspects of life.
- Establish and manage information bureaus at international standards.
- Work in a Foreign Service as a bilingual/multilingual information manager who can provide translation and interpretation skills between the foreign office and their clients.
- Meet the demands of modern technology of using the computer to expedite work through manipulation of the computer communication services.
- Manage Archives and be able to provide rational decisions in different organizations.
- Avail training or upgrading opportunities to certificate and diploma holders in the field of Records Management and Information Science.
- Produce highly trained Records managers who have skills that fit in the modern office environment and their challenging roles in the modern world.
- Train records managers in the acquisition of managerial, administrative, communication and organizational skills.
In order to qualify for the award of a Degree of Bachelor of Records Management and Information Science of Bishop Stuart University, a student must have satisfied the University Senate in the following:
- Must have been a registered student for the prescribed six semesters of this programme.
- Must have successfully completed the prescribed number of credit units for this programme which includes internship/field attachment (126 credit units)
A candidate who fails the examination, having failed not more than three courses shall be permitted to retake the examination in the failed course(s) and re-write the coursework.
A candidate who fails the examination in more than three courses may be permitted to retake examinations in the failed courses provided that he/she does not proceed to the courses of the following semester. The candidate will retake the course and rewrite the coursework in a corresponding semester when he/she failed.
To pass a retake examination a candidate must obtain at least 50% or 2.0 grade point of the marks in each subject.
Retake courses will be assessed out of 100%.
A failed course can only be retaken twice.
Retaken courses shall be indicated on the Transcript as “RT”
Grading and Classification of Awards
|Marks||Letter Grade||Grade Point||GPA||Explanation||Classification|
|80-100||A||5.0||4.4 – 5.0||Excellent||First Class (1)|
|70 – 79||B+||4.0||4.0 – 4.3||Very good||Second Class Upper division (2:1)|
|60 – 69||B||3.0||3.0 – 3.9||Good||Second Class Lower division (2:1)|
|50 – 59||C||2.0||2.0 – 2.9||Satisfactory||Pass (3)|
|0 – 49||D||1.0||0 – 1.9||Failure|